The Results Are In…
For nearly 4 years, Jewish Heart for Africa has depended on the help and support of our volunteers. With over 375 members of our volunteer community located around the world, it was time to start rethinking our volunteer model. So we asked the experts: the volunteers themselves.
With over 80 respondents to our survey sent out one month ago, we’d like to share some key findings about our volunteer community with all of you. The results are in
1. 63% live in NYC
2. 41% have joined within the last 6 months
3. 23% have volunteered with us for the last 2 years
4. 5% have been around since the very beginning.
5. 31% are students
6. 86% are between the ages of 20 and 39.
7. 50% of our volunteers are not involved with any other Jewish organizations.
8. 62% follow us on facebook and twitter.
9. 92% of volunteers read all our emails, and 40% forward them.
10. When asked to select one or more of the following as the most important aspects of our work to them, our volunteers answered as follows:
77% said Africa
68% said Israel
58% said the Environment
11. 53% of our volunteers have also donated to JHA
12. 73.5% said they would like to help us find financial support for our work. Here’s how they’d be willing to help:
Personal emails to family and friends: 60%
Birthday Campaign: 49%
Cold calls: 44%
Planning fundraisers: 42%
Phone calls to family and friends: 12%
13. 88% of our volunteers want to have more social volunteer events. 38% are willing to organize them.
14. 52% of volunteers outside NYC would consider participating in meetings via webcam.
15. 90% of volunteers, when asked to restate what we do in their own words, did so with 100% accuracy. Almost all respondents highlighted the words “Israel” and “sustainable.”
When asked why they volunteer, almost every response was directly related to our mission. Many new volunteers are looking to travel to Africa with us—an opportunity that is not yet available, but we hope will be in the coming years. The following are a few sample responses:
“I feel like I found a Jewish non-profit that makes a direct and immediate impact in a way that no other organization has been able to do. We are helping people with no resources to live a better life and we are supporting Israel simultaneously.” –Stephanie Galperin
“As an individual who is at the intersection of African-American and Jewish with concerns for the environment, it seemed like a very pertinent organization to get involved with.” — Keyanna Silverman
“I believe in the mission of the organization. I meet great people for socializing and hanging with. I like the organizers and other volunteers.” –Steven Ackerman
Finally, we asked about our volunteers’ most meaningful experience with Jewish Heart for Africa. The answers were as diverse as the respondents. Here’s a sample:
“I loved attending the JHA gala. It was really inspiring to see so many people in NY dedicated to this cause.” — Nicki, NYC
“Meeting with different temples and organizations and seeing their faces light up as I describe JHA’s work. As if they were saying ‘why hasn’t anyone thought of this sooner?’” – Jocelyn, Massachusetts
“The birthday campaign!!!” – David Brami, France
“Raising money outside of my student union for JHA. People were so generous it was amazing!” – Anonymous student, University of Maryland
“Unfortunately because I live in Jerusalem I haven’t had any hands on experience volunteering with them. But every time I wear my JHA shirt I have the opportunity to educate new people about the organization.” – Tamara, Israel
“Meeting in Sivan’s apartment when the organization was still taking off.” – Nicole, NYC
“I met my current boyfriend ” – Dayna, NYC
In response to the input of our volunteers, we at Jewish Heart for Africa are working on building a more global, interactive, meaningful and impactful community.
To join us, fill out our volunteer form:
And join our volunteer facebook group:
The volunteer group on facebook will be an online community where volunteers around the globe can share ideas, plan events, and get to know one another.
We hope all of you–volunteers, supporters, etc.–will share with us your feedback on everything from our blog, youtube channel (www.youtube.com/jewishheartforafrica), facebook and twitter to our email campaigns. We love hearing from you.
Again, thank you to all of our volunteers for participating in the survey, and for all that you do to make our work possible.